Thursday, July 22, 2010

Lois.

The Houston Museum of Natural Science has a "corpse flower" named Lois that is about to bloom.  Well, they've been saying that for over a week now and still no bloom . . . but there's been big developments and it looks like Thursday is the day!

From what I have recently learned, the corpse flower (so named because it smells bad once it's bloomed) is one of the largest flowers in the world (Lois is almost 6 feet tall!).  It's also very rare -- there have only been 28 other blooms in the U.S.

(photo: chron.com)

I would be lying if I told you I didn't look at the corpse flower webcam at several times a times a day!  I am not a huge plant person (frankly, I have a black thumb), but the anticipation is exciting!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! I would've never known this had I not been a reader of your blog.

    : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's great to hear from you!